Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Spring is Upon Us!


I write to you today, Wednesday, February 13th, as a messenger from the "Life without MLB Baseball" times. February 14th, traditionally Valentine's Day in America, will be the day a lot of MLB teams declare their love for the game, and open their official Spring Training camps. The defending World Champion Boston Red Sox opened their pitchers-and-catchers sessions yesterday, to the fury of red shorts and long red socks. As absurd as this looks, in reality, it was 73 degrees and 59 % humidity in Fort Myers, Florida, and its okay, because at least they aren't as absurd looking as warming up for other sports (see example, right ->).
There is a meditative aura that surrounds a game of catch. I don't mean to put soccer down, because if I were born anywhere else in the world, I would probably be a big soccer fan, just as if I were born in LA, I would definitely be a Dodger fan, but I don't have a better calming sound in mind than "snap, swish, pow, swish, snap, swish." Multiply the snapping by a few dozen, and you have the first days of Spring, and a few dozen more temp-jobs for catchers Major League level and beyond.
More on the camps soon, especially because its now been a year since I escaped to Arizona, and had my own baseball mecca experience.
So for now, be prepared; the new year is here, and those who follow this calendar have something to celebrate once again.

No comments: